Dr Bell’s Family Centre grew from a community vision. A need was perceived for support for families with young children in Leith, and the determination of local people and local agencies made the dream into a reality. Set up as a partnership between local people, Edinburgh City Council and NHS Lothian, Dr Bell’s Family Centre opened in August 2006 following a five year period of development.
Our services are for everyone, but we seek to focus on the most disadvantaged. Our creche facility is central to the success of the Centre. You can register your child at the creche and, once they’re registered, they can attend on a regular or occasional basis. We allocate a creche space to parents who are attending a groups or appointments.
Dr Bell’s works in partnership with Home-Start Leith & North East Edinburgh and Multi-Cultural Family Base, as many of our services complement each other. We meet regularly to discuss cross-organisation referrals.
- A volunteer with parenting experience to provide one-to-one home visiting support usually on a weekly basis;
- Support to help you find ways to manage and resolve problems and to enjoy family life together;
- Family group work so you can get out and meet other parents and become more involved in your own community;
- Information on and links to other organisations and agencies which could help support you and your family.
- Support to White and BME (Black and Minority Ethnic) families in Leith;
- Support to BME families across Edinburgh city;
- Individual support through home visits;
- The chance to meet and share with other parents in groups;
- Facilitated focus groups e.g. on managing behaviours;
- Links to other support networks in the area.